FREE JAZZ ALLEY - Wonderbrass
wall2wall Jazz Festival
- 12pm and 2.15pm
- Sunday 2nd September 2018
- Market Hall 61 Cross Street, Abergavenny, NP7 5HD
- FREE ACCESS
Festival Quick Links
- w2w Plus: Various dates and times
- Festival Dinner: 7pm for 7.30pm
- Dale Storr – Sounds of New Orleans: 7pm
- Ben Creighton Griffiths (Jazz in the Bar): 8.15pm
- Enrico Tomasso Quartet – Swing ‘Till You Bop: 9.15pm
- Daniel Newbury Quintet: 12.15pm
- Dave Jones and Guests (Jazz in the Bar): Various times
- Alison Rayner Quintet: 2.30pm
- Ben Holder Quartet: 4.45pm
- Rachel Sutton Quartet: 7pm
- Tony Kofi Quartet: 9.15pm
2nd September: Jazz Alley (free entry)
2nd September: Charity Swing Party
- Electric Swing Circus: 8pm and 9.15pm (doors open 7pm)
Main Sponsor 2018
Wonderbrass are a 25+ strong ‘explosion of sound’ from Cardiff, bringing a mixture of New Orleans jazz, ska, funk and fun to audiences nationwide.
The band provides an inclusive, creative and dynamic approach to making music that inspires both the musicians and audiences alike; embracing a wide variety of styles and performing in venues of every size all over the country.
From their humble beginnings as a ten week workshop in the South Wales Valleys in 1992, Wonderbrass have moved from strength to strength over the last twenty years, working with prolific artists such as South Africa’s Amampondo, Claude Deppa, the illustrious King Django.
For the 2012 Cultural Olympiad, the band worked with top jazz composer and saxophonist Jason Yarde. Showcasing his composition Skip, Dash, Flow – an exciting, dynamic work that takes audiences and players alike on a cultural voyage, following the Olympics from its previous venue in Beijing, through London in 2012 and on to the next port of call, Rio de Janeiro.
Wonderbrass are not like other bands – the musicians don’t get paid as instead, the fees are used to fund tuition costs and projects for the band so that members are able to perform with and learn from top musicians from a variety of backgrounds and genres. This also means that they play for the love of it, so a professional and passionate performance is guaranteed every time.
Expect an intoxicating mix of jazz, Latin, ska, pop, township and soul performed on an eclectic mix of instruments – including trumpets, flutes, trombones, saxophones, guitar, drums and keyboards.