Daniel Newberry Quintet
wall2wall Jazz Festival
Time / Date
Saturday 1 September 2018
- Melville Theatre: Pen-y-Pound, Abergavenny, NP7 5UD
Festival Quick Links
- w2w Plus: Various dates and times
- Festival Dinner: 7pm for 7.30pm
- Dale Store – Sounds of New Orleans: 7pm
- Ben Creighton Griffiths (Jazz in the Bar): 8.15pm
- Enrico Tomasso Quartet – Swing ‘Till You Bop: 9.15pm
- Daniel Newbury Quintet: 12.15pm
- Dave Jones and Guests (Jazz in the Bar): Various times
- Alison Rayner Quintet: 2.30pm
- Ben Holder Quartet: 4.45pm
- Rachel Sutton Quartet: 7pm
- Tony Kofi Quartet: 9.15pm
2nd September: Jazz Alley (free entry)
2nd September: Charity Swing Party
- Electric Swing Circus: 8pm and 9.15pm (doors open 7pm)
Main Sponsor 2018
As with previous years, we are delighted to include younger newcomers to the wall2wall programme.
Daniel Newberry is tenor saxophonist currently studying at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama with Iain Ballamy, Geoff Simkins and Alex Merritt. He has performed at the Brecon Festival and appeared at Bracknell Jazz with Kelvin Christiane. After university, Daniel aspires to become a full time musician playing in Wales and hopefully London.
The Daniel Newberry Quintet is a jazz ensemble playing enjoyable standards. It includes a two piece horn section with the trumpeter Thom Voyce doubling on vocals!
- James Sherwood – Drums. James is currently entering his final year at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, studying Jazz drumming. He is based local to South Wales and has played with many groups there, such as the “Chops Idols” with Gethin Liddington and Ceri Williams. James aspires to become a full time musician after college playing many different styles of music.
- Ashley John Long – Double Bass. Ashley graduated from the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama with 1st Class Honors where he studied double bass with Dominic Seldis, Dudley Phillips, Nick Weldon and Paula Gardiner, and composition with Tim Raymond and Peter Reynolds.
- Peter Schlunegger – Piano. Peter has come from his home in Switzerland to study at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama as a jazz pianist and has currently just finished his second year of study. He currently study’s under great musicians such as Paul Jones, Richard Roberts and Huw Warren.
- Thom Voyce – Trumpet/Vocals. Thom studies at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama on trumpet and vocals and is taught by players such as Gethin Liddington and Steve Waterman. He is mainly based in Cardiff for term time and has moved to the South Wales area from St Albans! Thom has recently played and sung with the RWCMD session Orchestra and played in the Vortex jazz club in London.
This promises to be an exciting opener to Saturday at the Festival, bringing together some of the finest young jazz players emerging in South Wales – an event not to be missed.