Claire Roberts Trio: Presents - Carmen McRae Sings Monk
VIRTUAL wall2wall Jazz Festival
DATES & TIMES
- This is a virtual event lasting about 1 hour
- The video was first streamed on Thursday 15th October 2020
- Tickets are available from our box office until 28th November 2020
- Ticket holders can re-watch the video without additional cost (until the box office close date)
Websites & Facebook
- Viewing alone (Single): £10.00
- Viewing with others (Family): £15.00
- Booking the correct ticket will be appreciated
UPDATE – The box office will remain open until 28th November
Filming in August at Abergavenny’s Melville Theatre
Claire Victoria Roberts grew up in South West Wales, hearing her dad perform gypsy jazz fiddle. She went on to train classically in Manchester, before branching out into bluegrass, Western Swing and improvised fiddle style.
She now performs as a violinist and vocalist with renowned Western Swing band The Swing Commanders.
Her love of swing music and appreciation for great female jazz singers led her to produce a debut album of old-time, jazz and country blues, which was released in January.
In this show she ventures further into the bebop vocal style of one of her biggest inspirations, Carmen McRae.
A singer brave enough to tackle the music of Thelonious Monk, Carmen’s iconic phrasing and storytelling will be reimagined in Claire’s stripped back performance as Claire sings ‘Carmen sings Monk’.
Claire will be joined by Grant Russell on bass and George King on piano.