Alison Rayner Quintet
wall2wall Jazz Festival
Time / Date
Saturday 1 September 2018
- Melville Theatre: Pen-y-Pound, Abergavenny, NP7 5UD
Festival Quick Links
- w2w Plus: Various dates and times
- Festival Dinner: 7pm for 7.30pm
- Dale Store – Sounds of New Orleans: 7pm
- Ben Creighton Griffiths (Jazz in the Bar): 8.15pm
- Enrico Tomasso Quartet – Swing ‘Till You Bop: 9.15pm
- Daniel Newbury Quintet: 12.15pm
- Dave Jones and Guests (Jazz in the Bar): Various times
- Alison Rayner Quintet: 2.30pm
- Ben Holder Quartet: 4.45pm
- Rachel Sutton Quartet: 7pm
- Tony Kofi Quartet: 9.15pm
2nd September: Jazz Alley (free entry)
2nd September: Charity Swing Party
- Electric Swing Circus: 8pm and 9.15pm (doors open 7pm)
Main Sponsor 2018
ARQ is a vital and creative jazz quintet led by bass player Alison Rayner. She has brought together a great group of musicians who sympathetically support her music – with Steve Lodder (piano), Deidre Cartwright (guitar), Diane McLoughlin (saxophones) and Buster Birch (drums).
Described by the Guardian as ‘spirited, eloquent and graceful‘ and by the Observer as ‘a beautifully integrated band‘, ARQ’s music is inventive, vibrantly colourful and unfailingly melodic – possessed of a strong sense of narrative and cinermatic quality.
Its composition of richly nuanced compositions – frequently inspired by personal experience – with folk-infused grooves, skilful musicianship and love of improvisation, creates a compelling and coherent whole.
‘In a jazz age with an abundance of technical excellence – and ARQ have it in great quantity – we look for something else as well. ARQ bring to the stage a musical bond that is expressed in such fun and joyful moments that it is a pleasure to be in the room with them. Jazz of the highest quality.’ Phil Rose, Birmingham Jazz
ARQ have received wide acclaim for their second album ‘A Magic Life’, which is bursting with melodic and harmonic references from jazz classical and folk music. Rhythmic grooves and great solos abound.
‘Click here‘ to listen to tracks from the album and read reviews of it.
‘A master-class in empathetic playing and superb solos and a rhythm section of the highest calibre. Don’t miss these virtuoso musicians when they come to town.‘ Phil Webb, Restormel Arts, Cornwall
ARQ have built a substantial and wide-ranging audience, receiving both national and international radio play and 4 and 5 star reviews in jazz and national press. Its recent 35-date ‘A Magic Life’ UK tour concluded with a sell-out night at the Soho Pizza Express Jazz Club.